Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Blogging Etiquette

Dear Mom,

What about blogging etiquette? I often wonder if I need to acknowledge someone who has made a comment on my blog. Is it rude that I don’t? When I comment on someone’s blog, I never go back and look to see if that person responded to my comment (unless I’m asking a question, then, if I remember, I’ll go back and look). I barely have time to read blogs, much less go back and check if they’ve commented on my comment. Who has that kind of time?

I know we bloggers all like comments, but it seems we need to make it easier on ourselves and not comment on comments. But maybe that’s because I don’t do it and I’m being lazy.

I’m not a rude person. I’ll return a call, reply to a letter and email someone back—unless they’re forwarding me something that doesn’t require any kind of answer. I listen when people talk and try not to butt in, but I have been known to blurt out something when someone’s talking. I especially do this with my children. My reason for that annoying character flaw is due to the fact that I’m afraid I’ll forget what I have to say. Lately I’ve been taking note and stopping myself. And I can’t remember what I want to say when it’s my turn.

But back to blogging. I appreciate comments even though I don’t respond. Sometimes their response is more entertaining and thought provoking then the blog I wrote. My mind races—why am writing? Oh yeah, writing is my lifeline. What keeps me sane.

If I don’t respond to blogs, it doesn’t mean I don’t like what is written. I’m either feeling inadequate or someone’s already commented the same thing I wanted to say and I’ll feel “dupid” repeating. Or I’m busy… writing.

Do other bloggers feel this way or is it just me? What about blogging etiquette? I could do some research, but when would I have time to blog?

4 comments:

  1. You can't see me, but I'm giving you a standing ovation. I agree with you 100%! I don't even have anything to add, because you covered it all. *sigh* Now how do we get everyone on board with the "no comment back" rule?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We could waste an entire day rereading responses. I'm with you, if the post moves me I comment, if someone else has said what I wanted to say, then there's no need for me to comment. I try to comment as frequently as possible though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you brought this up. Sometimes I worry I'm being impolite if I don't respond to comments. But when I do respond, I also wonder if I look like I need to have the last say. I have to stop myself from doing the blurting thing, too, and for the same reason. If I don't say it that second, ppfft! Gone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn, I couldn't agree with you more. I love reading every comment left on my blog, but I don't add my own comments. Nor do I re-visit other blogs to see if the blogger commented on my comment. If I feel there's something important to say to someone who commented on my blog, I'll add it to my comment to one of their posts or email them.

    Pat
    www.critteralley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I don't always comment back, but I do appreciate it.