Monday, May 1, 2017

Ka-Boom

I was sitting in my writing chair journaling when I heard Ka-Boom. I nearly stood up from the loud noise. Something hit the picture window next to where I was seated. Ah, yes, another poor bird.

Sure enough, I looked down and on the ground is a bird, flapping away... first on his side, then his back, flap, flap, flap. I watched and moaned in horror. "Oh you poor thing." I didn't want to swing open the door and scare it because it already had received a blow far greater. I wondered, what can I do? As it flapped, flapped some more, I grabbed my phone to snag a picture, and by the time I did, it had righted itself and lay in this position.


I quietly opened the door and sang HU. When all else fails and I know not what to do, I sing HU. The bird turned its head and I continued to sing HU.


Then my cat, Smeagol approached the door and off the bird flew lickety-split. It flew to a near by redbud tree where there was another bird of the same species. I had no idea what kind it was.

Later my husband solved the species issue. It's a Belted Kingfisher. Never heard of it. They like water. Since we have a pond out back, I'm sure that little pointy beak on his noise can stab fish just like that. Looks like we may have another kind of critter that eats our fish.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful bird...poor thing. This has happened several times on our big windows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully, he just knocked the wind out of himself. I've never seen a Belted Kingfisher, even though we have bigger, long-legged birds that wade in our creek and fish. They make quite a noise when they're startled and take off. I sure wouldn't want one of THEM to crash into a picture window!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy the beautiful bird survived and happy your husband was able to identify what kind it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely story and great outcome. I heard bird ruckus on our porch, then saw a huge crow fly off with a smaller black bird. It was horrific to watch. Your story is much sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful bird - I'm glad he's okay. I love the fact that you sang HU to him. Sounds to me like it worked!

    Pat
    www.patwahler.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynn--It sounds like the bird survived--thanks to you (in part).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I don't always comment back, but I do appreciate it.