Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Some Critters in the Yard

Dear Mom,

The weather had been hot, like dripping wet hot. I'd step outside, stand there for about five minutes and I'm drenched. So I stayed inside and watched the wildlife from my window.

The animals were apparently really hot too and came to drink from our pond. Two new fawns played in the water. Momma stood close by.
There's two fawn in the water

Momma joined the babies

Here they are again

A big ole buck enjoyed the water too! He must have drank about 10 gallons of water!


Here's a buck getting a drink, and then leaving
Mr. Groundhog... oh that's Mrs. Groundhog must have had a baby because I saw a smaller one nibbling on all my black-eyed Susan's that were coming up. Where I had tons of black-eye Susan's you now just see one or two, here and there. All the hosta are chewed to the nubs. But I don't care as long as the critters are getting what they need. Why not?

We don't have koi in our pond any more because I'm guessing this guy was the one who kept eating them. If koi were a little cheaper, maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but...

One day something caught my eye and I couldn't figure out what it was so I had to step out into the heat (wah, wah) and wow, the most beautiful frog I've ever seen. Wouldn't you agree?

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful spot you must live in, Lynn! Lovely to deer at breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! We have a creek that runs behind the house so we get critters, too....usually of the slithery kind. Our dogs cornered a diamondback snake a week or so ago. Ugh. We do get squirrels and more than our share of chipmunks; also the occasional hawk preening on the fence. No deer though. We're in too urban a setting. Love your yard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what is the admission fee for the L & N Zoo? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. It's like Wild Kingdom in your yard! Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun to observe the wildlife from the cool comfort of your own house. I love it!

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your homestead is an oasis for wildlife and wild women.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Lynn, I wish I also lived in such a beautiful place where critters come into our yards.
    On my few trips I saw two deer near the roads. Too far unfortunately, and I wasn't fast enough to get my camera out before they left...

    Here it's only cats and they seem to have a contest going on who can pee most on our roof... (We have three of our own, castrated though, so we're not used to the smell.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I don't always comment back, but I do appreciate it.