Monday, December 30, 2013

We Will Survive Book Reading


Dear Friends/Family,

At first I was afraid… it’d be my three children and me, but that would’ve been totally okay because I love those little darlings. But then Linda and her husband, Bill came in and I was no longer petrified.

Linda O'Connell and husband, Bill

A man and lady were occupying the room we had reserved, so my daughter kindly informed them of the event and invited them to stay. It turns out he is a writer and they would’ve loved to attend, but they couldn't. 

Critique partner, Sioux and her friend Darice popped in. Carrie (the gelato maker and friend of the family) graced us with her presence too. Then long time friends of my son’s, Martina and Josh surprised us! And last but not least, my older sister, Sue bounced in. My little sister, Ruth and her husband, Bud had every intention of coming, but traffic made it impossible. No worries.

from left to right: Martina, Josh, Darice, Sioux

from left to right: Rita, Jessica, Carrie, Suzanne

We started a little late and I began with a big No-No by saying my story paled compared to others in the book. After the reading was over I was told that my experience… okay, I don’t know the exact words, but I received the message loud and clear, especially after receiving another in private. The sheer kindness of people… well, my heart is more opened and I will be more positive about myself.

When I read, I go into some zone and I read well (there, how’s that for positivity?).

 Lynn Obermoeller

Linda then read her story. I heard comments about how well she read. And of course, she’s a pro.


Linda O'Connell

Linda and I both shared our experience meeting Ms. Gaynor and how it was like sitting with friends… just like what we were doing right then at the reading.

The ugly Christmas sweater meets disco winner clearly belonged to my son, Casey. However, since a lot of folks missed that memo, we put everyone’s name in the drawing and my sister, Suzanne won. She generously and kindly turned to Josh and handed him the book. Josh later admitted that he knew he was going to be the winner, but when his name wasn’t drawn, he was like, oh well. But then when my sister handed him the book, his intuition of being the winner was realized! (I love how those things happen, and watching kindness in action.)

You can't really tell that Casey won the best dressed contest because he took off some of his decorations (a white jacket and white tie and another Christmas scarf wrapped around his neck), but can you see the Christmas lights in his beard?

from left to right: Rita (the baby in the story), me (Lynn), Casey, Jessica

Sioux had given Linda and me a Christmas card with a poem she created replacing the words to "Oh Come All Ye Faithful" with "Oh Come All Ye Writers." Sioux is one of the most hilarious people I know. The three of us belted out the song to Sioux's words. And let me tell you, we can't sing like Gloria Gaynor. The notes and chords that left our lips were funnier than Sioux's words to the song.

Seven more books were sold! Thank you! And the proceeds of the sales will go to a local shelter for abused women. If anyone knows of one, suggestions are welcome. I have a few (as in two) more books for sale and if you're interested, contact me at lober13(at)gmail(dot)com and I'll donate that money as well. I spied some copies at STL Books in Kirkwood, MO so you can always purchase a copy there... if you're local to the area.


Here's what you would have received as a gift for attending...

Handmade ornament with "We Will Survive... 2013" printed inside along with some glittery stuff

But because the holidays made it hard for those to attend, if you again email me that you've purchased a book, I will send you an ornament... while they last.

From the top and the bottom of my heart, thank you all for your loving support and kindness.

And know that we all will survive… somehow.

left to right: Lynn Obermoeller and Linda O'Connell


9 comments:

  1. Lynn, it was so much fun. Your kids are great and we really enjoyed ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn--It was a great event. Fun. Funny. Warm (in tone). Some impromptu singing (not great on the ears). Some sharing of life experiences (which was inspiring).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I wish I could have been there. Looks like you had a lovely (but COLD) day for your event.

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your event. The pictures made me feel like I was there. And I CAN see the Christmas lights in Casey's beard! Good to know that "psychic" Josh got his book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry I missed it! Love love love that lighted beard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting all the photos. It looks like you all had a great time. I love your story in the book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynn... I am 100% sure that you are a fantastic reader... you are also a fantastic WRITER. No more self-depraction from you! This is your year!!! I am terribly sorry for not making it. Kids' schedule has been... unorganized... to say the least, this holiday season. LOVELOVE the pictures, though! See you next Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish that I could have joined you guys, and I love your outfit. I'll be buying a copy of your book soon.

    Hugs,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lynn, y'all look adorable! Love Linda's hat, too. Sorry I missed it that night.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I don't always comment back, but I do appreciate it.