Tuesday, November 30, 2010

NaNo is Over

Dear Mom,

I tried something new this month and wrote a fictional novel (50,000 words) in 30 days. And I did it! My official word count is 59,415.

Now the real work will begin. I’m not really sure how to go about it, but it will be quite some time before it’s worth reading. I managed to get in my 50,000 words before Thanksgiving so I could relax (ha) getting everything ready for that meal.

Thanksgiving was good—I suppose I learned from osmosis from you on how to cook. I made the most moist turkey this year by soaking it in a brine mixture for 8 hours, thanks to Ruthie who gave me the recipe. I made the usual mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, candied sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, broccoli with cheese sauce, corn, cranberries, rolls and a relish tray. Then of course cherry pie, pumpkin pie and pecan pie. This year Jessica wanted to learn how to make cherry pie, which I taught her using my vegetable oil pie crust (instead of shortening). She did a great job. I’m glad she’s taking an interest in cooking as it seems to be another lost art.

Once Thanksgiving was over, it was on to the next occasion—Logan’s birthday party.

It was a hoot (owl themed). I was Mother Owl and may have scared the kids a little.

But I’m sure the cupcakes made up for any scariness going on.

And just when I thought I could breathe, I remembered… oh yeah Christmas.

3 comments:

  1. Whoooo do you think you are showing the rest of us up like this? You want to come visit my class next year when I do the unit on owls? You look so cute. Thsoe cupcakes are magnificent, and you are right, cooking is a dying art. My younger coworkers buy everything prepackaged, even pot roast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the owls! So cute.

    Your Thanksgiving dinner sounds very yummy...and how wonderful that you had an interested helper! My 16-year-old was supposed to do the pies with me this year but ditched me to go shopping with her boyfriend. *sigh* Go figure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I don't always comment back, but I do appreciate it.