Monday, May 18, 2015

What? Words? What About Words? And Other Ramblings


Boy, I can’t believe it’s been over a month since I wrote a blog post. There are times when I consider not blogging. I haven’t read blogs in about as long. I fell off the grid. I finished the rough draft of my children’s book… illustrating.

I went to SLWG meeting presented by Catherine Rankovic on titles and designs of book covers. Most everything made sense and was useful. Then I heard someone ask a question about children’s books and it was said, “Never illustrate your own book.” I haven’t touched my book since.

The power of words. The power of other people’s words. That same afternoon of the workshop, I ate lunch and read through a dessert cookbook a friend had given me. Long story short, as I experimented, I burned my hand. Really, really bad. I was grateful I had just purchased some Lavender Essential Oil and I doused my entire hand with it. I was sure this burn was going to require emergency medical attention, but thanks to Lavender Essential Oil, you have no idea a burn took place.

After burning my hand, I resigned to take it easy on the couch and read. I pulled several books from my library. The book I ended up reading was Hidden Language Codes by R. Neville Johnston. If anyone thinks that God doesn’t have a plan, well, I’d like to debate.

In Hidden Language Codes it talks about the power of words. It opened my eyes. I’ve read things like this before. I knew these things about the power of words. Sometimes when I hear it a different way—boom, a light goes off… again.

The part about God and His plan… the thoughts about not illustrating my book were going through my head, along with ‘what shall I do today?’ on the day I burned my hand and that settled doing anything… but reading. What I read changed my attitude about so many things. More specifically… I may have heard, “Never illustrate your own book.” But I will. I will do it with confidence and joy.

Did everyone have a Happy Mother’s Day? I did. My two daughters came over and cooked me dinner. It was delicious! We napped. We chilled. It was a lovely, love-filled day. Thank you, Stinkers!

Here’s a few pictures.

 Jessica and Rita



Did anyone go to Listen To Your Mother event? I did. My two daughters came with me. (Thank you, Linda!) This event was fantastic and the three of us cried. I recommend going next year. This was the third year. I’ve gone to all three. Each year, I think, can it get any better than this? And it does. But then all stories from the heart are so touching. This year there were two men and bravo to them.

Oh and I went to two baby showers... one hosted by my stepdaughter, Jenn and she had the place decorated so cute. Another by my bff grade school friend... she's going to be a grandmother and she can't wait. Of course her decorations were cute too. Here's a cute idea for a watermelon baby shower:

 
My youngest daughter moved out of her place – and can I mention I helped and she’s border-hoarder? She will be moving into another place in due time. After the last load, she said, “Hhmmm, maybe I’ll become a minimalist.” I thought it was a good idea.

My Uncle George is dying. He’s my dad’s brother. My Aunt Lee will be the last of the nine siblings. When my sister’s and I visited Uncle George, he had moments of being his robust self. He was not careful with his words! Ha. We all laughed, as did he. And I wondered, when I’m in that place, will I have a filter?

For those who read this, thank you. I am ever so grateful. For those I read when I get around to it, thank you. You all inspire me.

With love…

11 comments:

  1. Lynn--It sounds like you had a delightful time with your girls.\

    As for the words of others, you should ignore that line. I've seen your illustrations. They're charming and inspiring and NOT amateurish.

    So fuhgeddabotit. And pick up those water color inks and get busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn--It sounds like you had a delightful time with your girls.\

    As for the words of others, you should ignore that line. I've seen your illustrations. They're charming and inspiring and NOT amateurish.

    So fuhgeddabotit. And pick up those water color inks and get busy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful blog page to catch us up. It was well worth the wait. Yes, DO continue on your book. Your daughters are beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about your Uncle George. Glad you had fun with your beautiful "stinkers," though! That melon-baby is adorable. So sorry you had to get burned to sit still and read, but at least you got the antidote! And one final thought: you would not be you if you didn't listen to your higher self. Your illustrations are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about your hand and your uncle and that "advice" that drove a wedge between you and your book.

    But you DID have a lovely meal prepared for you, and read a good book, and got to see a watermelon baby. Now back to YOUR book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You packed a lot into one post! First, I'm so sorry about your uncle. Not an easy situation. Also, sorry about your hand, but happy that it didn't require ER attention. The book sounds great, and I feel compelled to check it out now. AND, your daughters are gorgeous, not a surprise. As to the "don't illustrate your own book," I've heard that before, too, but many successful children's authors have done just that, so follow your instincts and heart. Sometimes "never do this" really means "pave new road." So go pave. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are always so interesting! Illustrate!! Thanks for the wonderful letters too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynn, thanks for catching us up on all your news. Sending prayers for you, your family, and uncle during this tough time. Love the Mother's Day and shower pictures--so cute!

    Finally, when it comes to your book, follow your heart. It doesn't matter what anyone else says or thinks. Every successful trail blazer was once a rule breaker. Do what feels right for you.

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the interesting post, and I'll keep your uncle in my thoughts and prayers. I think the advice about illustrating your own book should be taken with a grain of salt. If artists and writers did everything we were told, then there would be a fewer great works of art and literature!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so lucky to have such great daughters. It sounds and looks like you had a wonderful Mother's Day.

    No! No! No!, You just tune out those naysayers and remember every rule can be broken. Prove them wrong. Your book is unique in your artwork makes it that much more so. It is a one of a kind with life messages. Go for it. I know what you mean about God messages. They find us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As always, I enjoy your posts, what you write, the words you use, and YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I don't always comment back, but I do appreciate it.