Saturday, April 12, 2014

Thesaurus Drawing/Words - EXISTENCE

When my friend was moving, we hauled a tub full of books into the van before my husband could notice. Most of the books, I ended up giving to Goodwill. I took out the Thesaurus just because it was old and I liked it. 


I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with it. Then this sketching/journaling Ring in Spring happened and although there’s an endless supply of things to draw, I have to have some sort of focus or I end up looking/daydreaming at every single thing… and can’t decide. I walked past this Thesaurus and thought, that’s what I’ll do. I’ll take a page a day, glue it in my journal and then draw and write something about that word. I’ll feed both writing and drawing. How genius.
However, when I started looking at the book, I couldn’t tear out the pages, so I’ll be taking a picture of them. The book’s seventh printing was September 1951. Previous editions started in 1911. I just couldn’t ruin it.
I’ll start from the beginning, which isn’t necessarily in alphabetically order the way this book is designed, and I will pick out a word from all the definitions to draw because hey, how can you draw this word….


Existence
although maybe I should try…

My existence is sometimes a bit sketchy.


 food for thought:  “Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” —Huxley

16 comments:

  1. Glad you decided not to tear apart the old book. If it has lasted 60 years...well, another 60 wouldn't hurt. Did you notice anything different in the words listed from those in a newer list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bookie, can't say that I've studied thesaurus's, so I don't know if there's anything different or now. I'd have to look at them side-by-side and see. I just know this one seems like it's set up different from others (that I remember anyway).

      Delete
  2. It follows me across the room...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your representation of existence. So glad you didn't rip up the thesaurus... Especially because of its age! Can't wait to see more! Are you going to share all? I hope, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess, yes, I plan to go through the entire book... ha, we'll see - I'll go as far as I or anyone can stand it!

      Delete
  4. Writer, artist, and now I can see you becoming philosopher, too. Lynn you always inspire me!

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool--and thank you for that Huxley quote. I may use that in my Plath work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good decision on the book. I have an old thesaurus, dictionary, and book of quotations that belonged to my dad, and a few books that were my grandpa's. I was raised to treat books as friends, so I'm glad you did. :) Envious of your drawing skills because I have none.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I didn't think I had any drawing skills either, so I bet you do somewhere in there!

      Delete
  7. Very cool symbol of existence! And I'm with you - I've never been able to underline or highlight in the books I own because it's too much like vandalism. Instead, I stick Post-Its everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, I am able to mark and underline and do things in some books - especially those that encourage you too!

      Delete
  8. Love this project. Super fun and creative!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I don't always comment back, but I do appreciate it.